Twillingate to Rocky Harbour

We woke to a beautiful sunny morning and, when I looked out of our window, I saw that the iceberg we had taken photos of yesterday afternoon had drifted into shore and was now a fraction of the size. I was amazed how quickly it had melted and broken up.


I quickly dressed and walked up to the headland to see if any more icebergs were approaching the island. As I looked north I could see many more in the distance. With my zoom lens I snapped this photo of two bergs. The one on the horizon was massive.


As I walked back, I passed a rock named Queen Victoria because of its likeness to her profile. It made a great photo with the icebergs in the distance.


When I got back to the house our breakfast cook, Queen, had arrived and she proceeded to cook us a wonderful breakfast. Boiled eggs, fantastic home-made bread and incredibly tasty baked oatmeal with apple sauce on top! We 'persuaded' her to have her photo taken with Wendy, Bob and Kenny.


We packed our bags and decided to drive to the lighthouse nearby. We had wonderful views looking down on the sea and to the south we saw a huge tabular berg that was stuck fast on the seabed close to the causeway that leads to Twillingate Island.


As we were about to leave the lighthouse, we met a local man, Lloyd, who made TV documentaries about the island and we all bought some of his DVD's.

It was now nearly 10.30am and we had another 400 kms drive to reach our next stop in Rocky Harbour, so we drove away from the lighthouse into Twillingate. As we went through the centre of the town, we saw this iceberg and others that were very close to the shore.

 

We drove the 100 kms back to Highway 1 and then headed more or less due west. We stopped at an inlet for a short break after about two hours and then drove the remaining 200 kms to Rocky Harbour and our hotel, the Ocean View. Rocky Harbour is on the edge of the Gros Morne National Park, which we are intending to visit tomorrow to see the James Callaghan Trail. I'll explain more in my next posting.


I promised a photo of my latest sticker for the route that is now fixed to both front wings of the Landcruiser, so here it is.


Finally, we have just heard that a tropical storm is going to hit St. John's tomorrow and Saturday, with high winds and torrential rain. We just have to hope that our sailing to Nova Scotia tomorrow night is not affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment